21 October 2006

Random Emails from Africa

Sometimes, I get emails from West African businessmen. Or psuedo-businessmen. Or maybe psuedo-West-Africans.

They seem to think that I should either (1) help them with their import-export business; or (2) make a claim as the rightful heir to a fortune that some British expatriate with my last name left behind years ago. All I need to do is contact them, and provide them with information about my bank account. Sounds like a good idea, right?

I've never replied to any of these emails, but sometimes I'm tempted. Of course, I would never give them my bank account information, or any other personal information that I'm sure they're going to ask for, but I'm kind of curious as to who is on the other end of these emails, how they're running this little scam (assuming, of course, that it is a scam), and who falls for it, and how they get away with it....

No comments: