06 October 2006

Socket Wrenches

Do socket wrenches vary in quality that much?

Up until recently, I've never needed a socket wrench. But, I needed to install a hitch onto my car, and this called for a socket wrench. I needed a ratchet, and an 18mm socket.

When I got to the store, I saw that you can buy ratchets and sockets separately, or as part of a ratchet set.

The one ratchet that I'd need cost about $30.00 as a single ratchet. Plus, the socket would cost another $5.00. I'm thinking to myself, "this is awfully expensive for a relatively simple (yet, admittedly very clever) tool."

However, on the other side of the aisle - there's ratchets and full socket sets (including the 18mm) being sold for only $20.00. Now, I'm thinking "how much better can that first ratchet be?" I ended up buying the cheaper one, and now I have a full set of sockets for my 1/2 inch ratchet.

But back to the original question: Just how much better is one ratchet than another one? Is a $30 ratchet (which comes with no sockets) really worth the money? or can you get by with the cheap one that comes with the sockets?

By the way, the cheap ratchet-and-socket set worked out fine.

No comments: